Hospital Medicine Application
Updated November 2013
Incomplete Applications At the end of the application, you will find an application checklist detailing the items that must accompany your complete application. Please review your submission carefully and use this checklist to ensure your application can be processed in a timely manner. Incomplete applications will not be sent for board review until the required items are received.
All applicants have a period of one (1) year from the date of submission to complete their application. If after one year, your application is incomplete, or the additional documentation requested by ABPS staff or the board has not been received, your application will become invalid. To continue to pursue certification, you will need to submit a new application and application fee and meet the certification requirements, in effect at the time, the second or subsequent application is received by ABPS.
Board Certification Application
For a hard copy, please contact us.
Case Report Requirements
The applicant must submit two separately compiled copies of six (6) case reports in the following format:
- Case reports must be typewritten. Photocopies of typewritten case reports are acceptable.
- Case reports must be double-spaced on standard 8.5″ x 11″ white paper.
- Case reports must be in a hard, report style binder, or a three-ringed notebook.
- The applicant must sign each case report.
- An index shall be placed at the front of the reports indicating the type of case (diagnosis) and the page number on which the case can be found. To view sample index and verification form, click here.
- Confirmation of the validity of the reports by hospital administrator, medical records director, or whomever performs such duties at the facility. This must be on official letterhead verifying that you were the physician treating the patient in each case on the date stated. If the applicant’s cases reflect work at more than one institution, then separate letters must be submitted verifying the cases from each institution. This validation must be notarized and signed. (Refer to sample index/verification form.)
- Case reports shall contain all of the following information:
- For patient #, list the same number as the case number (Refer to sample index and verification form.)
- Date of admission and date of discharge
- Admitting diagnosis
- Final diagnosis
- Physical and laboratory findings
- Summarizations of the important facts regarding the case acts as the most essential part of the case report and must describe the case in such a manner as to convey to the ABHM Credentials Committee the vital facts regarding the diagnosis, care, end results obtained, etc.
Case reports must be carefully prepared as they are subjected to detailed scrutiny. Reports should be accurate, well-written, diversified, and properly descriptive. The ABHM Credentials Committee reserves the right to seek additional details for any case it deems necessary. Cases not meeting the requirements described above will not be accepted, resulting in an incomplete application.