Hospital Medicine Certification Application
Please be certain to carefully read the entire Board of Certification Information listed below.
- At the end of the application you will find a checklist detailing the items you need to attach to the application in order for your application to be considered complete. Please review the materials you are submitting against this checklist.
- The only fee you need to submit at this time is the appropriate application fee, see fee schedule. Do NOT submit your examination fee at this time, as it will be returned to you.
- To ensure the secure delivery of your application, supporting documents, and receive acknowledgment that it has been delivered to the ABPS, we highly recommend that you send these materials using Receipt Return Requested, or one of the overnight carriers that utilize a tracking system.
- The Board will not review incomplete applications, therefore, submission of an incomplete application may delay the Board’s acceptance of your application in time for you to take the exam on the date you desire.
- All applicants have a period of one (1) year from the date of submission to complete their application. If after one year, your application is incomplete, or the additional documentation requested by ABPS staff or the board has not been received, your application will become invalid. To continue to pursue certification, you will need to submit a new application and application fee and meet the certification eligibility requirements in effect at the time that the subsequent application is received by ABPS.
To request a hard copy, please contact us.
Case Report Requirements
The applicant must submit two separately compiled copies of six (6) case reports in the following format:
- Case reports must be typewritten. Photocopies of typewritten case reports are acceptable.
- Case reports must be double-spaced on standard 8.5″ x 11″ white paper.
- Case reports must be in a hard, report style binder, or a three-ringed notebook.
- The applicant must sign each case report.
- An index shall be placed at the front of the reports indicating the type of case (diagnosis) and the page number on which the case can be found. To view sample index and verification form, click here.
- Confirmation of the validity of the reports by hospital administrator, medical records director, or whomever performs such duties at the facility. This must be on official letterhead verifying that you were the physician treating the patient in each case on the date stated. If the applicant’s cases reflect work at more than one institution, then separate letters must be submitted verifying the cases from each institution. This validation must be notarized and signed. (Refer to sample index/verification form.)
- Case reports shall contain all of the following information:
- For patient #, list the same number as the case number (Refer to sample index and verification form.)
- Date of admission and date of discharge
- Admitting diagnosis
- Final diagnosis
- Physical and laboratory findings
- Summarizations of the important facts regarding the case acts as the most essential part of the case report and must describe the case in such a manner as to convey to the ABHM Credentials Committee the vital facts regarding the diagnosis, care, end results obtained, etc.
Case reports must be carefully prepared as they are subjected to detailed scrutiny. Reports should be accurate, well-written, diversified, and properly descriptive. The ABHM Credentials Committee reserves the right to seek additional details for any case it deems necessary. Cases not meeting the requirements described above will not be accepted, resulting in an incomplete application.