Ethics Medical Board Certification and Recertification from ABPS
Medical board recertification from the American Board of Physician Specialties (ABPS) provides an opportunity for physicians to clearly demonstrate the knowledge of and experience in the core competencies required for a chosen specialty or subspecialty. The ABPS is the official certifying body of the American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc., overseeing the management and governance of 17 distinct medical specialty certifications.
The ABPS emphasizes the goal of improving patient care ahead of the business of medicine. Qualified physicians who seek medical board recertification through one of our Member Boards must undergo non-remedial medical ethics training. ABPS is the only certifying body in North America to require this type of ethics course. This requirement is in keeping with the ABPS Code of Ethics, which entails (in part):
- Maintaining the highest standard of personal conduct
- Promoting and encouraging the highest level of medical ethics in medicine
- Maintaining loyalty to the goals and objectives of the ABPS
- Recognizing and discharging the responsibility of physicians to uphold the laws and regulations relating to the practice of medicine
- Striving for excellence in all aspects of a medical practice
- Using only legal and ethical means in the provision of care to patients
- Providing patient care impartially, with no special privilege imparted to any individual patient based on the patient’s race, color, creed, sex, national origin or handicap
- Accepting no personal compensation from any party that would influence or require special consideration in the provision of care to any patient
- Maintaining the confidentiality of privileged information
- Cooperating in every reasonable and proper way with other physicians and work with them in the advancement of quality patient care
- Using every opportunity to improve public understanding of the role of the specialist physician
- Abiding by the highest ethical standards in activities designed to attract patients to a practice
For more information about the ethics training requirement, and to learn about qualifications for medical board recertification through the ABPS, contact us today. ABPS also recertifies Diplomates of the ABMS and AOA-BOS.