Updated July 2014
Requirements for Recertification
Beginning in 2014, physicians who are currently certified in Psychiatry must meet the following Continuous Competency in Certification® (CCC) Requirements:
- Submit a completed recertification application with required information and $100 application fee by December 1, annually;
- Included with the application, submit documentation (copies of an official printout or copies of certificates) of 50 hours of CME, with at least 25 of those hours being related to Psychiatry;
- Included in the CME, submit documentation of the completion of at least 100 questions of Psychiatry-related Self-Assessment**;
- Hold active and unrestricted medical license(s) to practice in the U.S. or Canada and provide a copy with current expiration date;
- Submit payment of annual CMF by January 1 of each year;
- Sixteen of the 400 CME hours completed during each eight-year period must be obtained through AAPS-sponsored programs;
- Complete 7.5 CME hours of AAPS-approved*** Medical Ethics every eight years.
Note: The first annual application is due by December 1 of the year the current certification expires. All other requirements will apply, beginning in 2014. The first annual application needs to be accompanied by the applicable CME documentation for the full eight-year certification period. Applicants must document that the CME requirements that were in place from the year they were last certified or recertified through 2013 AND the above requirements from 2014 onward have been met.* In the years following the first annual application, ALL of the above requirements must be met in order for certification to remain in good standing.
* Physicians who were newly certified or recertified in 2006 or later were required to meet the ABPS Standards for Recertification. Click Here to view a copy of the brochure or Click here to download a PDF copy of the brochure. Physicians who were initially certified prior to 2006, and have not yet recertified, will need to contact ABPS Certification staff to determine the requirements for their recertification period.
** CME activities that require you to pass a quiz or test to attain AMA PRA Category 1 creditsTM can be used to satisfy the requirement for completion of Self-Assessment questions. The following resources are available for on-line CME and self-assessments:
A list of CME/Self Assessment Resources compiled by Dr. Bernard Sklar (Online Continuing Medical Education) is available at http://www.cmelist.com/list.htm.
Another resource for On-Line self assessments is NetCE at www.netce.com.
***AAPS-approved Medical Ethics courses include the AAPS-sponsored Medical Ethics course held annually in conjunction with the AAPS Scientific Meeting OR must contain the term “Medical Ethics” in the title or clearly in the syllabus of the course, must be intended for physicians, and cannot be the same course taken multiple times to meet the 7.5 credit requirement. CME hours attained from the AAPS-sponsored Medical Ethics course may be applied to the required AAPS-Sponsored CME.