The American Board of Physician Specialties® Offers a Recognized Certification Option for Physicians Who Are No Longer Board Eligible
Across the United States, many talented physicians are at risk of losing the chance to become certified because they have not yet passed their board certification exams. If these physicians fail to earn certification by the end of their eligibility period, they are no longer considered board-eligible and must complete a year of residency retraining or a fellowship program in order to re-establish eligibility. At the American Board of Physician Specialties® (ABPS), we want physicians who are no longer board-eligible to know that there is another option.
Facts About the ABPS
The ABPS offers qualified physicians board certification in numerous specialties. The ABPS is nationally recognized as a prestigious choice for multi-specialty certification, with Diplomates practicing in all 50 states, as well as Canada and Puerto Rico. Furthermore:
- ABPS is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor as a leading choice for physician board certification.
- Federal and state organizations that recognize ABPS certifications include the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Veterans’ Health Administration, and the United States Armed Forces under the GI Bill.
- Various state medical boards, including Florida’s, have written or retained strict language that accepts and recognizes ABPS as a recognized certifying board that meets the higher standards of certification they require.
- Top healthcare and credentialing organizations such as Greely, HCPro, and the National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) recognize ABPS as a choice in physician certification.
While the eligibility requirements and testing standards at ABPS are as stringent as any board certifying body in the world, we are unique among them. Founded in 1952, the ABPS certifies both allopathic and osteopathic physicians. This spirit of inclusion filled a void at a time when certifying organizations discriminated on the basis of training. We promote collegiality, fraternity, and service among our Diplomates and proudly maintain a non-discriminatory approach.
Why Seek ABPS Physician Certification?
When you earn ABPS certification, you become part of a diverse group of like-minded professionals who are respected throughout the healthcare industry and:
- Share knowledge and clinical experiences
- Take advantage of abundant leadership opportunities within the community
- Have a meaningful voice as a valued participant in the community
- Enjoy ample networking opportunities.
To learn more about the benefits of certification with ABPS, or for information about our eligibility requirements and certification exams, contact us today.