Physician Board Certification: The Next Step for Fellows of Approved Integrative Medicine Programs
If you are a physician who has completed an ABOIM-approved fellowship in integrative medicine, the American Board of Physician Specialties® (ABPS) invites you to apply for board certification in the specialty. We are the only multi-specialty certifying board in the United States to offer integrative medicine certification.
Board certification through our Member Board, the American Board of Integrative Medicine® (ABOIM), allows you to present yourself to the public as a qualified integrative medicine specialist.
Why Hospitals Prefer Hiring Board-Certified Physicians
Increasingly, hospitals and healthcare organizations are focused on hiring board-certified integrative medicine physicians, and for good reasons. Backed by years of training, board-certified physicians have demonstrated through performance and testing that they possess the knowledge and skills necessary to provide compassionate integrative medical care. Given that board certification helps to allay any doubts patients may have about the quality of care they receive, it’s easy to understand how certified physicians can enhance an organization’s reputation.
Board Certification Through the ABOIM
Integrative medicine, a relatively new specialty, is still evolving, and becoming certified through the ABOIM indicates a physician’s readiness to be at the forefront of that evolution. Even as integrative medicine changes to reflect medical research and patient care needs, the fundamental tenets of the specialty remain constant:
- Consideration of all factors influencing health, including mind, body, and spirit.
- Use of both conventional and alternative methods to trigger the body’s innate healing response.
- Thoughtful consideration of less-invasive and less-harmful interventions when possible, addressing the whole person, not just the disease.
- The belief that medicine is rooted in good science, is inquiry-driven, and is open to critical examination of new paradigms.
- Recognizing healthcare as a partnership between physician and patient.
Beyond scientifically sound treatment, an integrative medicine practitioner promotes health, prevents illness, and advocates for healthy living. Practitioners are expected to embody these concepts and remain open to self-exploration and self-development. The ABOIM’s rigorous, clinically based exams allow qualified physicians to showcase their proficiency in all these principles.
Advantages of Integrative Medicine Certification With the ABOIM
To acquire certification through the ABOIM, physicians must meet eligibility requirements and successfully complete a rigorous computer-based exam. Once certified, they will have positioned themselves as thoughtful leaders in integrative medicine. As Diplomates of the ABPS, a nationally recognized choice for board certification, they will also:
- Join a distinguished community of physicians whose priority is the advancement of patient care and integrative medicine
- Enjoy more opportunities for career advancement and increased mobility on the job market
- Demonstrate your commitment to Integrative Medicine and provide potential patients, colleagues and others evidence of your mastery of the core competencies
If you are a graduate fellow of an approved training program by the American Board of Integrative Medicine, we encourage you to apply for certification with the ABOIM. For a complete list of ABOIM approved fellowships, and for detailed information about the ABOIM’s eligibility requirements, contact the ABPS today.