ABPS Board Certification: a Commitment to Exceptional Patient Care
If there is one quality that defines a physician who has achieved board certification through a Member Board of the American Board of Physician Specialties (ABPS), it is an unyielding commitment to providing patients the best care possible.
To that end, the ABPS has established stringent eligibility rules for applicants, meaning only the finest physicians with the deepest level of dedication to their medical field even qualify to attempt to achieve ABPS board certification. And once the first hurdle of eligibility has been cleared, there remains the challenge of the exam itself. The exams, whether written, oral, or simulation, all are clinically based and developed using the most rigorous standards in the industry. Once someone has earned ABPS board certification, there is no room to doubt that he or she demonstrates a mastery of the core knowledge and skills required to provide exceptional patient care in a particular specialty.
What does “exceptional” care mean? For ABPS physicians, it means:
- Adhering to the ABPS Medical Code of Ethics
- Honestly assessing the existing shortcomings in the health care system and working hard to find practical solutions
- Maintaining open communication with peers in the chosen specialty in order to share and implement best practices
- Advocating publicly for the highest level of patient care
- Placing patients first, and not the business of medicine
The governing body of the ABPS, the American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc.® (AAPS) and its affiliated organizations are committed the strongest standards of ethics and integrity in the medical community. Our emphasis is not so much on the business side of medicine, as it is the treatment and care of our patients. If you would like to learn more about earning ABPS board certification in your specialty, contact us today.