The American Board of Physician Specialties (ABPS) Offers Residents Options in Physician Board Certification
As one of the highest honors that physicians can receive, board certification represents an abiding commitment to patient care. By providing physicians with an opportunity to thoroughly demonstrate their base of knowledge, professional skill, and dedication to ongoing education and training, certification serves as measurable proof of a physician’s expertise. If you are a resident seeking to distinguish yourself and bolster your career through certification, you should know that the American Board of Physician Specialties® (ABPS) offers certification options.
Nationally Recognized for Certifications in Traditional & Emerging Specialties
Since certifying our first physician in 1960, we have become a nationally recognized choice for certification, offering a path toward board certification and recertification in 18 different specialties. We have certified numerous extensively qualified and highly talented physicians in traditional medical fields such as dermatology, family medicine, and internal medicine as well as in innovative specialties such as disaster medicine, integrative medicine, and family medicine obstetrics. In fact, as one of three prominent multi-specialty certifying bodies in the United States, we are the only one that offers certification in these emerging specialties. Currently, ABPS Diplomates across the various specialties practice at some of the finest healthcare institutions in the country and are in all 50 states, the District of Colombia, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
What’s more, the ABPS is:
- Recognized in the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook as a choice for physician board certification
- Supported by Aperture Credentialing, the nation’s most experienced healthcare provider credentialing company
- The only multi-specialty certifying body that requires its Diplomates to complete a medical ethics course to achieve recertification
Benefits of Board Certification With an ABPS Member Board
When you become board certified with an ABPS Member Board, you will become part of a community of like-minded physician leaders who represent some of the most skilled physicians in your area of expertise. Furthermore, the ABPS will advocate diligently on your behalf, as we have a strong track record of work with credentialing authorities, hiring groups, hospital organizations, and legislators to get our Diplomates the credit and opportunities they deserve.
As more hospitals and healthcare organizations prioritize hiring board-certified physicians, board certification will continue to grow in prominence. At the ABPS, we believe that certification offers physicians benefits that are less obvious than career advancement but no less important, including:
- The respect of their peers and the fellowship of practitioners who share best practices
- Extra incentive to remain as updated as possible about new techniques and treatment methods in their chosen specialty so as to achieve recertification
- An opportunity to be viewed as leaders in their chosen specialty, and to shape the course of the medical profession for years to come
Why Certify With the ABPS?
The ABPS believes you have the right to choose a board that aligns with your values. As a board that offers several nationally recognized certification options, we believe that more choices foster increased competition, which results in innovation and advancement that results in improved patient care.
For more information about the ABPS, including details about our eligibility requirements for certification, contact us today.