Hospitalist Board Certification Under the Direction of the ABPS
The American Board of Physician Specialists (ABPS) believes that the demand for hospitalist board certification will continue to accelerate in the coming years. Since the mid 1990s, the number of practicing hospitalists has grown to more than 16,000 from less than 1,000. That rapid growth in interest in the specialty means that the need for hospitalist certification has also increased.
The American Board of Physician Specialties developed the nation’s only comprehensive and dedicated board of certification for hospital medicine governed by hospitalists, the American Board of Hospital Medicine (ABHM). This is not merely a subspecialty of internal medicine. Hospitalist board certification through the ABHM carries all the standing and prestige of a distinct and vital medical specialty.
A thorough explanation of the ABHM’s eligibility requirements can be found here, but in general, to be eligible for hospitalist board certification through the ABPS, applicants must:
- Hold current board certification in family practice, internal medicine, or emergency medicine through ABMS, ABPS, or AOA Member Boards.
- Be eligible to be certified by the College of Family Practice of Canada (CFPC), or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPSC).
- Have completed an approved ACGME, AOA, College of Family Practice of Canada (CFPC), or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPSC) residency in family practice, internal medicine or emergency medicine.
- Have completed an ABHM approved fellowship program, or be an instructor in Hospital Medicine.
- Other Board Certifications may be considered on an individual basis.
The rigorous testing standards employed by the ABHM were developed under the direction of practicing hospitalists from the United States, as well as Canada. The exam is designed to provide physicians the opportunity to demonstrate a mastery of the knowledge and skills necessary to practice hospital medicine. For more information about the examination process, or to apply for hospitalist board certification, contact us today. The ABPS is the official certifying body of the American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc.