Physician Board Certification and Recertification Body of the AAPS
The American Board of Physician Specialties (ABPS) is the official physician board certification body of the American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc. The physicians and public members of the ABPS specialty boards develop and administer clinically based medical board certification exams for 17 specialties. Our Member Boards provide physician specialists the opportunity to demonstrate the knowledge and skill of the core competencies necessary to practice their chosen specialties or sub-specialties.
The organization collectively is guided by a distinct set of objectives regarding board certification. These objectives include:
- Providing physician board certification in a variety of medical specialties and sub-specialties
- Establishing and maintaining professional standards for each medical specialty board of certification and verify that members meet and maintain these standards
- Promoting communication and providing a coordinated structure for conducting the affairs of the affiliated boards of certification
- Providing a forum for addressing certification issues confronting physician specialists
- Reviewing and acting upon applications for new specialty boards
- Setting rigorous standards for certification
- Promoting collegiality, fraternity and service among Diplomates
- Informing the public about specialty certification, the certification process, and the status of certified physicians
To learn more about the role the ABPS, and for information about becoming certified or recertified through one of our Member Boards, contact us today.